Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Where is the money tree?

Earlier this summer I was standing with my Dad in an office of an aquaintance of his, a business(car sales)man. They were discussing poor spending of the next generation (indirectly, but not pointedly, me)and how none of "these kids today" have any fiscal sense. That in order to buy a home they have to have the deposit given to them.
More recently I was discussing how business values have changed. It used to be that you were rewarded for loyalty if not hard work. Get in with the right company and they'll take care of you. Nowadays more often then not though, everyone is looking out for number one. Putting all your eggs in one basket seems smart, inless that basket is forestry, car manufacturing, and the like. Working at a big grocery chain used to be a good job. A good union job. The benefits flowed from the top. Now the benefits are still at the top, but the new contract barely rewards loyalty. Competing against wage hourders like Walmart drive competition, but good thing, because where else wil you be able to afford to shop on pennies an hour.
Looking at career options, education is sold as the be all to end all. Maybe if you aim for a trade. A self employable trade.
I'm not saying it isn't possible to build equity in this day and age. I'm just tired of being sold "the good life" that is so far in my future I may never reach it.

3 comments:

i am the diva said...

i still wish i would have learned a trade or something... like cabinet making...

i took 5 years of a music degree - and i'm paying off the student loans for the rest of my life... and what do i do for my day job (When i'm not on mat leave)? i'm a receptionist. sigh.

FourLeafClover said...

Couldn't agree more with this post.

Reddy said...

Hindsight is 20/20, but cabinet making? Really, huh. Our society really leaves us ill equipped for reality. Unrealistic expectations all the way around.