Sunday, October 25, 2015

Up the ante

The RocknRoll 10K run in Vancouver was a really great run. The day was beautiful, clear and not too warm. My sister wanted to try for a PB, so I was in a slower corral. She also had my beer tag for the end of the race, to enjoy while waiting for me, her idea, but not the point. I was nervous before the run because I had fallen off the training schedule and was only running half the distance/time needed. But I was still running, atleast, and had made a commitment to do the event with my sister, and wanted to keep that. So I decided that my goal was to run the first hour, as a walk/run, running 10 minutes, walking 1, and then see how I felt. The race had a 2 hour time limit, and I figured if I ran the first hour, I could walk the rest in the time given, in theory. So my sister and I travelled to the race together, taking the shuttle and with enough time to grab some pictures, before we had to line up. After the usual wait time for faster corrals, I was on my way. Made it my 6 sets, just past the 6km marker, and was still feeling good, so kept running. Made it most of the way, with more walking past 9km than running, but still finished strong. Really proud that I completed it.
The run itself was amazing, the course is gorgeous and flat, and the weather was perfect for a run. I took photos which slowed my time further, but I wanted to remember running the seawall for the first time.
When we started, there was a lot of talk about doing the 10k Saturday, as a warm up for the half-marathon Sunday. After some serious consideration, I think I would like to try that next year.

Scratch that,

I am going to try that next year.

21.1kms is a good goal, maybe the goal I've been looking for. Not so much that it takes over your life, or can kill you if you don't prepare, but a serious training challenge. Vancouver is a beautiful city, and the course was so nice, I really enjoyed the experience, and feel inspired to run more.

When I first started running, my instructor at the couch to 5K told me I was made for distance, and that eventually I would want to run a marathon. I said, HA! But, game on.

No comments: