Saturday, November 15, 2008

Things I've learned from the movies #1




I never truly appreciated how much Anne of Green Gables shaped my life till I watched it again recently. Its been a few years since I watched it beginning to end. And yes, I have read the books. But I've spent much, much more time with the film. I can still recite it line for line as I watch, which I did not do for the benefit of friends with me. I know every scene, and the really weird part is most of them I have somehow incorporated into my world. I wont disect the whole movie, but here's what stood out;

-Movie introduction was my introduction to The Lady of Shallot, and followed with The Highway Man, and other literary pieces I love.

-Melodramatic grand statements? Check.

- Belief in a bosom friend, Check.

- Belief in kindred spirits, Check.

-Avoiding "putting on airs" and the judgemental, fake Josie's of the world.

- My Grandma is similar in many ways to Marilla, and I used to spend summers on her farm. This only encouraged my identifying with Anne.

- Being "Smart rather than pretty", and that being better.

- Romantic Ideals of love, Big Time Check.
I mean really, Gilbert? Captain Harris? Gilbert? C'mon. More on this later.

There is not one scene that I can't find a line imprinted on who I am. Formative years of my youth for sure. Anne's loneliness, imaginativeness, and eventual happiness where how I saw myself becoming an adult. Ofcourse, that makes sense when you are 12.
Or 14. Or 16. Um 31?

No comments: